FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
1. Is this convergence more experiential or more of a lecture style conference? We intend for it to be as experiential as possible. This event is a very intentional and energetic convergence of shamanic cultures and traditions. There will be opportunities to participate in transformational experiences that will awaken us to new possibilities, based on the wisdom of our diverse roots and common spirit.
2. Are we going to experience everything together at the same time? There will be parts of the convergence that include the entire community at the same time. At other times there will be concurrent programs where people will choose which session to participate in. Each participant will have opportunities to have his/her own experience by breaking into smaller groups, taking their own space and looking after their needs.
3a. How will our collective energy be held together? We will be held within a spiritual container that we will create together in the opening of the event and be attentive to throughout the experience.
b. What is meant by spiritual container? When we speak of a spiritual container it refers to an energetic container, which is composed of the combined experience of all the people coming, and our “relations” both visible and invisible. Our relations (life forms) are being called upon to assist us in holding space for spirit to inspire us. We call upon the directions, the elements, our ancestors, and all the guides and allies that are willing to help us at this time. This makes a very, very strong container for this event.
4. I would like to know more about shamanic practice before attending a conference. You are in luck! A number of experienced shamanic practitioners are available in Nova Scotia to assist you.
~ Armand huet de Grenier, a senior shamanic teacher offers a familiarization class. Pre-registration preferable (and last minute drop-ins welcome too!). The Path of the Drum: Shamanism in the contemporary milieu. Open group. 1st Tuesday of the month beginning May 3rd, 6:00 – 9:30, Nova Quest, Bridgewater. Bring drums, rattles, blanket, eye covering, and snacks to share. Contribution to sustainability $10-$20. Generosity policy applies.
Contact Armand at email@example.com and include “new shamanic drumming group” in the subject line.
~ One-on-one Shamanic Instruction is available by appointment from:
Nancy Sherwood firstname.lastname@example.org (902)792-1667
Carla Silver email@example.com (902) 275-2411
Maria Mackenzie-Cann firstname.lastname@example.org
Beth Lenco http://www.starflower.ca (902) 275-3132
5. What do you mean by scholarship/ bursary assistance? We hope to have some funds available to assist those unable to attend unless they can receive a reduced rate. We will entertain requests for financial assistance with an expectation of some kind of voluntary assistance in exchange. Each request will be discussed on an individual basis and considered based on available funds. Please address your request to Becca Strople at email@example.com Replies will take time for processing.
6. What is the Early Bird deadline? What will the price be afterwards? The Early Bird registration deadline is the Full moon, July 15th 5pm Atlantic time 2011. Registering before the deadline entitles you to $100.00 off convergence fee. Please refer to the web site www.shamanicconvergence.org for info on fees, accommodations, etc.
7. I don’t want to stay overnight at the convergence grounds, is there a reduction in registration fee? Yes. If you will be staying off-site, the rate will include the convergence program and all meals. The fee is $380.00
The Dorje Denma Ling web site has information about other accommodations nearby.
8. Do participants have to attend the whole event or can we come just for a day or part of a day? The convergence is a holistic experience within a strong energetic container. We encourage individuals to attend the entire gathering; however some exceptions can be made. A limited number od day spots will be available at a rate of $175 per day. Pre-registration is required.
9. Are there arrangements for special dietary requirements?
Wholesome meals with vegetarian and alternative options will be available. (Please see web site www.dorjedenmaling.org– participant info- environment, diet and health). Please note on your registration form meal preferences and any life-threatening conditions such as shellfish sensitivity. Do feel free to bring favorite snacks or medically required foods.
10. Who will be available on-site for one-on-one support? There will be a healing space and a number of practitioners available on site for support and processing as needed.
11. I wouldn’t call my own path shamanic, more nature-oriented or pagan. Am I welcome to attend? Absolutely! The convergence is about shamanic practices of various kinds, and lineages, in an atmosphere of openness and sharing. A general interest in shamanism is helpful. One does not need have a personal history of shamanic practice in order to participate.
12. What do I need to know about the “sweat lodge?” Participation in the sweat lodge is optional. Two purification lodges will take place. Convergence participants will receive protocols/guidelines in their registration packages. First time lodge participants will have opportunities to sit with lodge keepers to ask questions and address any concerns. Our lodges are based on accessibility and gentleness. There is a limit to the number of participants for this ceremony. Please indicate on your registration form if you intend to take part.
13. My doctor says sweat lodges may be dangerous to my health. Program activities are never mandatory, including Sweat Lodge Ceremonies. Persons with heart ailments, high or low blood pressure, are strongly advised not to participate in sweats. Please speak with a lodge keeper if you have any concerns regarding your health and participation in a sweat lodge ceremony. Safe participation is available.
14. Are children welcome? TBA
15. Can I bring pets?Sorry, no pets.
16. How do I find additional information regarding the convergence, i.e. location, environment, directions and transportation, protocols, lodging etc.? Please refer to www.dorjedenmaling.org. Click on the tab for participant information. Check there to see if your inquiry can be satisfied. Keep in mind that some of the information refers to DDL programs only. Please do not contact DDL directly with questions concerning the convergence. Direct all Convergence inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond as quickly as possible.
17. Do I need travel or medical insurance for this event If you are from out of province or outside Canada, it is recommended that you purchase travel/medical insurance. You will also be asked to sign a waiver of responsibility upon registration.
18. If have other questions, who do I contact? Please address additional questions to email@example.com A member of the Nova Scotia Grandmother’s Council will contact you as soon as soon as possible, (please also be patient).